Monday, August 30, 2010

What is normal?

It's amazing to witness the changes to your body when you start to eat the right foods. Before primal, I was often bloated, fatigued, suffering indigestion, and constantly getting sick. We are raised in a society which accepts that sickness is normal, but is it really?!?! Surely our bodies were designed to be healthy. We are given all the tools to live full and healthy lives, but somewhere along the line, we've become complacent.
I think that a lot of the issue stems from our quick fix pharmaceutical/pill industry. Rather than addressing why we are feeling sick, we pop a pill that masks the symptoms but doesn't actually treat the underlying cause. Is this the way we want to live? Imagine if the answer was simply eating the right foods, getting regular exercise and plenty of sleep...
I can't believe the change that has occurred in me over the last 6 weeks. I've survived a Canberra winter unscathed, which is amazing considering that I've spent most winters in the past either with the flu, or recovering from it. My skin has improved out of sight. I no longer suffer from indigestion after most meals, nor have I seen any signs of bloating (apart from one occasion when I cheated at a Chinese restaurant and had some rice). I have more energy and finally have a reference point for what 'normal' should feel like.
It makes we wonder though, how many people out there are unaware that things could be better. Unless you have a celiac diagnosis, it's unlikely that you're aware that eating grains is a major cause of bloating, gut irritation, and indigestion. And possibly you think it's normal to feel like that after eating! As Kat Eden explains, we need to start listening to our bodies and feeding them the right fuel.
I haven't even mentioned the weight loss that has come with the primal eating plan. In April, when we started on this health journey, I weighed in at 96.9kg. At my weigh-in last week, I was 91.7kg. All but 300grams of that weight has come off in the last 5 weeks. To me, that is incredible! We are openly fighting back against conventional wisdom and winning. I have not felt hungry since we started eating primally. I have more energy to commit to my training sessions. A typical breakfast for me is a 3 egg omelette with ham, tomato, mushrooms & spinach. No shakes or low fat breakfast cereals, I get to eat real food, food that has typically been shunned by conventional wisdom, and I'm losing weight.
While learning all this information was initially daunting, and a little bit frightening, I now feel empowered. For the first time in my life, I feel like I have control over my body. Granted, I've always been in control, but this new way of thinking helps me to make informed decisions. I'm learning what 'normal' really should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment