Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Fury!!!

I wasn't going to do a post today as I've been flat out travelling and doing job interviews... But I couldn't help share my story as it fits perfectly with Friday Fury sentiment! It will be a short, but to the point post :-)
I was sitting next to a 'large' man on my flight home this afternoon. When I say 'large' I looked like a stick figure next to him, so you get the idea ;-p He was friendly enough, though had no idea his BO was so offensive (I was thankful at this moment for an exit row seat!)... My issue came when they served our afternoon snack.
I was offered a cookie, which I turned down, and an apple, which I accepted. My neighbour declined the food but asked for a "Coke Zero"...
He then said to me "Trying to be healthy hey?" I'm guessing he was trying to get a rise out of me, but I wasn't in the mood so I just smiled and nodded.
"You know that the apple probably has as much sugar as the cookie don't you?" he sniggered as he sipped on his drink of pure poison!
SAY WHAT?!?!
I was actually stunned. Lost for words... Well no, actually, I wasn't lost for words... There were plenty of things I would have liked to say, but I just didn't have the headspace for it! Did this man actually believe he was taking the healthy option by choosing a coke zero over an apple?!?
Yes, yes he did.
I just mumbled something about the apple having beneficial vitamins and minerals in it, but I think he was too distracted, basking in the glow of thinking he had just given me a lesson in eating!
I could now pull so much information and find studies to show the benefits of eating an apple. I could also find lots of scary facts about the additives they make Coke Zero out of. But I'm hoping that since you're reading this blog, you're educated enough to know that if faced with the decision of an apple or a cookie, you understand that the apple is the MUCH healthier option. After all, it is REAL food, the cookie is not. Out of those 3 options though, even worse than the cookie is the Coke Zero!
So, as Peter Griffin would say...
"And that's what really grinds my gears"
Have a good evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment